We have a MOBILE APP! Download Locate Special Diet for more gluten-free (vegetarian or organic) listings in Austin (and 45 other U.S. cities). The mobile apps are available on iPhone/Android for FREE. Search by type of food, view menus, read tips and more. Download Locate Special Diet today to find gluten-free options near you!
Another year and another post for the awesome Austin Food Blogger Alliance Annual City Guide. I’ve participated in the city guide for the past two years for SXSW (2011, 2010), but this year we are trying to give Austinites (and friends) a more detailed approach to the guide. Make sure and check out the full guide, which will be posted in it’s entirety March 1st on the main AFBA website. You will be able to check out over 75 detailed posts from local food bloggers who know their city!
There will be three gluten-free posts in this year’s guide. I am writing about local places to grab a yummy gluten-free dinner, and two other bloggers will be writing about local gluten-free breakfast and lunch spots, so make sure and check out the guide if you want to read those.
This year’s list is in no particular order and not organized by neighborhood. Many of these have multiple locations, and not all of them have gluten-free menus. Many on this particular list do have gluten-free menus though or at least marked items on their menu. If it is available on their website I will link to it, if not double check with their staff. Also, check out their websites for more information. I’m placing some of my local favorites in bold!
If you will be traveling to Austin again soon or looking to find more local spots that cater to a special diet lifestyle (in Austin and beyond), then don’t forget to sign up for my new website and mobile app launching very soon. We will be sending out invitations for our beta launch soon—> LOCATE SPECIAL DIET
For those of you on Foursquare, I have also created a gluten-free friendly list with tips for over 45 restaurants and bars in Austin.
Without further ado…
Gluten-Free Dinner Options in Austin, 2012:
- Z Tejas (menu)
- Taco Deli (marked menu): I love Taco Deli and eat there several times a week. The breakfast tacos are great and some of my favorite lunch tacos include the Tacoloco, Cowboy Taco and the Beef Picadillo. Order on corn tortillas and look for the wheat symbol next to the menu items that are not gluten-free.
- Snap Kitchen (menu): Great for busy days where you do not have time to cook and do not want to eat out.
- My Fit Foods (marked menu)
- The Grove (marked menu): I love coming here and eating under the big tree outside. Their pizzas and pasta dishes are great.
- Good 2 Go (Delivery 5 mile radius, marked menu): Wine and gluten-free mac and cheese delivered to my front door? I’ll take it.
- Riviera Bistro (100% GF): Finally, a gourmet all gluten-free restaurant in Austin.
- Kerbey Lane (menu): Love their breakfast menu (pancakes), but they also have a great selection for lunch and dinner too.
- Casa De Luz: A wonderful spot for vegetarian, organic and gluten-free food.
- Hopdoddy Burger Bar (GF buns & fries): Seriously the best burger in Austin (in my opinion). The primetime burger on the gluten-free bun is too-die-for. Get there early…the line is always very long.
- Perla’s: Brunch, Lunch or Dinner, this place is amazing. Love the lobster frittata for brunch.
- Bouldin Creek Coffeehouse
- Elizabeth Street Cafe
- Maudie’s (menu): A really great gluten-free Tex-Mex menu! They have numerous locations around town.
- Cantina Laredo (menu)
- Fonda San Miguel
- Apothecary Cafe and Wine Bar (marked menu)
- Eastside Cafe (menu)
- Foreign and Domestic
- Cafe Josie
- Eleven Plates
- Wheatsville Co-Op
- Whole Foods: You really can’t go wrong here…The Lamar location is the flagship store and it’s huge!
- Thundercloud Subs (Lake Austin location only): Great gluten-free sandwiches!
- Beets Cafe
- Galaxy Cafe (menu): I love coming here for breakfast, lunch or dinner! Great happy hour and their gluten-free menu is on the back of their regular dinner menu.
- Parkside: Where I always go if I have a special occasion and want to celebrate… I love Parkside.
- Olive and June: Olive and June recently opened and they are serving fresh gluten-free pasta…need I say more?
- Vespaio (marked menu)
- Second Bar and Kitchen (menu): They just introduced a gluten-free menu this week and it is spectacular.
- The Steeping Room (menu): Love their gluten-free options… the desserts are great.
- Kona Grill (menu)
- Carmelo’s (menu): Carmelo’s has a wonderful Italian gluten-free menu.
- Uchi: You can never go wrong at Uchi or Uchiko. High quality food!
- The Salt Lick: Always good…Besides all their meats, their gluten-free options include their sauce, coleslaw and potato salad.
- Franklin BBQ: The best BBQ in Austin, in my opinion. Sauce is GF. The only things that aren’t gluten-free are the dark espresso barbecue sauce, the chopped beef and of course the bread. Ask them to switch gloves.
- Trio (menu)
- Iron Cactus (menu)
- Fogo De Chao
- Eddie V’s (menu)
- Fleming’s Steakhouse (menu)
- Red’s Porch
- P Terry’s : Go for the bunless burger and fries.
- Brick Oven on 35th (menu)
- Brick Oven South (menu)
- Kenichi: Kenichi is always great at accommodating GF.
- Chez Zee (menu): I love their desserts!
- The Carillon
- Mama Fu’s (menu): Gluten-free Chinese food and it is cheap and good. They deliver too.
- Trento (marked menu)
- 360 Uno (marked menu)
- Snack Bar (marked menu)
- Siena Ristorante (menu)
- North by Northwest (menu)
- Plucker’s (menu): Their menu includes gluten-free wings.
- Garrido’s (marked menu): The majority of their menu is naturally gluten-free. They have great homemade corn tortillas.
- Guero’s (menu)
- Frank (marked menu): I love their gluten-free hot dogs (with GF buns) and their waffle fries.
- Austin’s Pizza (marked menu)
- Z Pizza (menu)
- Jason’s Deli (menu)
- BJ’s Brewhouse (menu)
- Mother’s Cafe (marked menu)
- PF Changs (menu)
- Zocalo Cafe
- La Condesa
- G’Raj Mahal Cafe
- How Do You Roll (marked menu)
Please note, as always, this is not a full list of gluten-free friendly dinner spots in Austin. This is only a partial list. Also, the majority of these restaurants are not completely gluten-free, which means you might come across cross contamination. Please do your research, ask questions and dine at your own risk. I can tell you this though, I dine out at all of these restaurants on a somewhat regular basis (yes, I dine out often). If you have any questions, feel free to email me at (atxglutenfreeATgmailDOTcom).
If you want to add to the list, please leave your comments below.