Apparently, I am on a seafood kick these days. Last week I posted a recipe on easy oven baked tilapia; tonight we are having spicy shrimp with wild rice (blog post to come). It’s fabulous and healthy. A nice protein alternative to steak, pork or chicken.
I have always loved seafood, especially fish tacos. Spicy seafood dishes remind me of my childhood summer vacations spent in Grand Cayman. The beautiful white sand beaches, the smell of seawater and fresh fish served “Cayman style.” Cayman style is a popular way to have your fish prepared in Grand Cayman; made with stewed tomatoes, onions, a little spice, and sometimes celery. I put a Texas spin on these fish tacos by spicing them up with some tequila, chipotle in adobo and plenty of garlic. These might be your new favorite taco. They certainly are my new favorite.
Chipotle Fish Tacos
- corn tortillas
- 1 lb. mild white fish (such as tilapia, catfish, mahi mahi, etc)
- salt and pepper, both sides of fish
- pinch ground cumin, both sides of fish
- extra virgin olive oil, 1-2 tablespoons for fish, 1 tablespoon for vegetable mixture
- 1 tomatillo, diced
- 1 tablespoon diced white onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, julienne
- 2 tablespoons clear tequila
- 1 chipotle in adobo + ½ teaspoon chipotle sauce
- zest of 1 small lemon
In a small sauce pan, add olive oil, tomatillo, onion, bell pepper, chipotle and sauce, lemon zest and pinch of salt. Saute for 5 minutes on medium heat. Add tequila and garlic to vegetable mixture, and place on low and let simmer for 5 minutes. Sprinkle salt, pepper and cumin on both sides of fish. Pre-heat skillet to medium-high heat, add olive oil and sear fish. Saute fish on medium heat until flaky, about 5 minutes. Break up fish with spatula or wooden spoon. Place fish mixture on corn tortilla, top with chipotle-vegetable mixture and shredded white cheddar cheese.
Would you rather skip the taco? Prepare this fish and chipotle mixture, place over a bed of white rice, and serve with fresh avocado slices.
Enjoy with a Skinny Girl Margarita (confirmed gluten-free with company)…
Other blogger recipes using chipotle:
- Jenn Cuisine: Homemade chipotle mayonnaise for artichokes
- Elana’s Pantry: Chipotle orange chicken
- Cook it Allergy Free: Chipotle chicken tortilla soup