NEW! We now have a MOBILE APP called Locate Special Diet. Download it for FREE in iTunes and Google Play! Find gluten-free or vegetarian or organic options near you (in over 40 U.S. cities)!
Welcome to the second annual gluten-free guide to Austin, SXSW 2011 edition. This post is part of a series called Austin Food Blogger Alliance City Guide 2011. Make sure and check out all the other posts associated with this series. I hope you enjoy your time in Austin. Austin is one of the best cities to dine gluten-free. If you have any questions, feel free to tweet me (@ATXglutenfree) or email me (email@example.com).
This guide is a partial list to the gluten-free friendly restaurants that are in Austin. On this list are restaurants, cafes, coffee shops and bars that I frequent often and have had a positive experience at each of these. Since many of these are not certified gluten-free, please be aware of cross contamination.
Certified Gluten-Free Restaurants
Wildwood Art Café (gluten-free, dairy-free options, vegan options, menu available)
Wildwood is the first restaurant in Austin to provide only gluten-free options. Personally, I am not a big fan of their food or service, but if you want a safe option then head there. They have a variety of soups, sandwiches, enchiladas and desserts.
Java Dive (gluten-free, menu available)
Java Dive is located farther out in Lakeway. They are a certified gluten-free restaurant, but also offer gluten-filled foods. I love their gluten-free breakfast options. Their menu has over 10 different kinds of gluten-free waffles!
Food for Life (gluten-free, dairy-free options, menu available)
Food for Life is another gluten-free restaurant that is located far from downtown, in Cedar Park. They are a gluten-free and casein-free environment, and offer many comfort-style gluten-free foods such as: macaroni and cheese, hamburgers and chicken nuggets.
Gluten-Free Friendly Restaurants
In no particular order…
- Whole Foods: Austin is the proud parent of the Whole Foods flagship store. This is a must-see for anyone that is from out of town. It is foodie paradise.
- Apothecary (marked menu items): Apothecary is a quaint wine bar and coffee shop. They offer gluten-free paninis and a variety of salads. Check and see if they are offering their gluten-free bread pudding special.
- Juice Box, Soup Peddler: The Soup Peddler offers a variety of soups, some often gluten-free. Make sure and double check.
- Brick Oven South (menu available): Brick Oven South has a full gluten-free menu including pasta, pizza, garlic bread and beer.
- Lift Café (marked menu items): Lift has great coffee, breakfast and salads. My favorite is their 86 gluten sandwich; an Udi’s bagel with cheese, bacon and eggs.
- Uchi: Hands down one of my favorite restaurants in town.
- Walton’s Fancy Staple: Great gluten-free flour-less chocolate cake and coffee!
- Chez Zee (menu available)
- Trio (menu available): Trio is an amazing spot for breakfast, lunch, dinner or happy hour. They recently updated their menu and added many more gluten-free options. A must try!
- Maudies (menu available): Maudies is a favorite Tex- Mex restaurant of mine. It is cheap, reliable and they have locations all over town. They recently updated their gluten-free menu and added a new patterned chip basket for the gluten-free chips.
- Daily Juice: Perfect for your SXSW hangover.
- Eastside Café (menu available)
- Barley Swine: Don’t let the name fool you. They have plenty of gluten-free friendly options. A must try is the braised short ribs. Double check before ordering, they change ingredients often.
- Parkside: Parkside is close to my heart. This is where we had our Gluten-Free Pizza Party! Always gluten-free friendly and always delicious.
- The Carillon: Show-stopping gluten-free dishes.
- La Sombra
- Salt Lick: Gluten-free barbecue! Salt Lick’s BBQ sauce and rubs are gluten-free. Their coleslaw, beans and potato salad are gluten-free also. Make sure and say “no bread” when ordering.
- Flipnotics: Great coffee shop with unique atmosphere.
- Gibson Bar: A fun bar on South Lamar, they offer gluten-free beer
- House Wine: A unique wine bar that is located in an old house. Bring gluten-free crackers for their cheese trays.
- Alamo Drafthouse (marked menu items): See a movie and eat gluten-free? Yes, you can do that easy at Drafthouse!
- El Greco Grill (menu available)
- Hai Ky: Get the Pad Thai (with the old sauce, not the new sauce).
- Fino: One of my favorite menu items is the fried goat cheese.
- Taco Deli (marked menu items): Specify “gluten allergy” when ordering to prevent your corn tortilla being heated on the flour tortilla press.
- Froyoyo (marked menu items)
- The Grove (marked menu items): Wonderful gluten-free pizza.
- Gumbo’s of Westlake (menu available): The Westlake location is the only site with a gluten-free menu.
- Mama Fu’s (menu available): Chinese food, large gluten-free menu.
- PF Changs (menu available)
- Mighty Fine (marked menu items): Specify “gluten allergy” when ordering.
- Peached Tortilla (Trailer): Order the BBQ brisket taco , ask for corn tortilla, sub out the BBQ sauce for the sriracha mayo.
- Local Yolk (Trailer): Gluten-free bread available for their egg-salad sandwiches.
- Mr. Natural (marked menu items)
- Rio’s Brazilian (marked menu items): Their cheese breads are amazing.
- Snack Bar (marked menu items): Great brunch!
- Snap Kitchen (menu available): Great for picking up food to-go if you are in a hurry!
- My Fit Foods (menu available): To-go foods, like Snap Kitchen.
- Southside Flying Pizza (marked menu items)
- Steeping Room (marked menu items)
- North by Northwest (menu available)
- Iron Cactus (menu available)
- Plucker’s (menu available): Gluten-free wings with over 5 different sauces.
- 360 Uno (marked menu items): They offer gluten-free breakfast pizzas!
- Z Tejas (menu available)
- Guero’s (menu available): Their food is not the best Tex-Mex in town, but they do offer a gluten-free menu.
- La Boite (Trailer): Love their macaroons and coffee!
- Counter Culture (Trailer)
- Delish Cupcakes (marked menu items): They offer one or two varieties of gluten-free cupcakes each day.
- Black Sheep Lodge: Chili, burger (without bun) and salads (without croutons) are gluten-free. They also carry Redbridge.
- Vespaio (marked menu items)
- Hotel San Jose: Great place for drinks.
- La Condesa
- Austin Land and Cattle
- Peche: Amazing cocktails!
- Second Bar + Kitchen
- The Driskill
- Paggi House
- Hopdoddy: Ask for burger without bun or bring your own. Fabulous burgers!
- Frank: gluten-free hot dogs and beer!
- El Arbol
- Fonda San Miguel: A classic interior Mexican restaurant with plenty of naturally gluten-free options.
- Foreign and Domestic
- Jack Allen’s Kitchen (menu available): They have a wonderful brunch!
- Garrido’s: The majority of their menu is naturally gluten-free. They also make their own corn tortillas in house.
- Beet’s Café (marked menu items): Great vegetarian/raw restaurant.
Stores with Gluten-Free Products and Foods
- People’s RX
- Whole Foods
- Central Market
Gluten-Free Friendly Restaurants that Deliver
- Eat Out In: BJ’s Brewhouse, Bombay Bistro, Brick Oven South, California Pizza Kitchen, Firebowl Cafe, Galaxy Cafe, Hyde Park Bar and Grill, Mother’s Cafe, My Fit Foods, North by Northwest, PF Changs, Threadgills, Tinos Greek Cafe, Zocalo Cafe.
- Dine on Demand: Iron Cactus, Conscious Cravings, Clay Pit, Zuzu’s, Chili’s, Cantina Laredo, Sagra, Zen, Lion and Rose, Third Base, Tarka Indian Kitchen
- Craig O’s
- Jason’s Deli
- Gatti’s Pizza (6 locations only)
- Austin’s Pizza
This year’s gluten-free guide is only a partial list of gluten-free friendly restaurants in Austin (Yes, we have that many). If you are looking for a particular kind of food, feel free to email me or leave a comment below and I will be happy to help you. Also, please be aware of cross contamination. Even though a restaurant offers a gluten-free menu; that does not lower your chances of being contaminated. Please dine at your own risk.