Even though it is still in the 70′s outside and not officially “cold”, it still seems like soup weather. The leaves are starting to change colors and fall is officially here. Can you believe it is almost November? Time flies. Fall is one of my favorite times a year. I love everything about cooler weather. Last night, I was craving a warm, comforting soup. This recipe is so easy and delicious. It is healthy, low-fat, gluten-free, vegan, dairy-free, and best of all, easy! I hope you enjoy.
Cauliflower and Butternut Squash Soup with Torn Basil and Balsamic Mushrooms
What you will need:
1 head of cauliflower, chopped in large chunks
1 butternut squash, chopped in large chunks
1 sweet onion, minced
4 cloves garlic, minced
balsamic vinegar, for drizzling
10 mushrooms, sliced
1 lemon, 1/2 tablespoon zest
1 box chicken stock (kitchen basics makes a good one, you can find it at HEB and Randall’s. It is gluten-free. You may also chose to make your own stock which is always a delicious alternative)
ground oregano, 1 tsp (I just sprinkled in the pot, same for below seasonings)
rosemary, 1/2 tablespoon
ground marjoram, 1/2 tablespoon
fresh basil, torn for garnish
1) Chop onions and garlic (they do not have to be real small because you will puree it in blender when done). Saute onions and garlic in olive oil, pepper them. Place in blender when done.
2) Use vegetable peeler and peel outer layer of squash, scoop out seeds, slice into chunks (the whole squash)
3) Steam cauliflower and squash until tender, drain
4) Zest some lemon skin with grater, like 1/2 tablespoon
5) In the blender combine cauliflower, squash, onion and garlic, lemon zest, chicken stock (just enough to start blending) until smooth. You might have to do this step in batches.
6) Add the pureed blend back into the pot, sprinkle in salt and pepper, oregano, rosemary, marjoram and pour in the remaining chicken stock box. If it is still too thick then you might want to open up another box.
7) In the same pan you sauted the onions and garlic in earlier, add in sliced mushrooms, balsamic vinegar and saute.
8) Pour soup in bowl. top with balsamic mushrooms and torn fresh basil